Sustainability & Operational Excellence Challenge 2017
The EMPEA Institute is delighted to launch our second annual Sustainability & Operational Excellence Challenge to select the fund manager with the most compelling case study of creating value in an emerging markets portfolio company through active management while also delivering positive externalities to the communities in which the company operates.
The top three finalists will once again be selected by an independent panel of judges, with the winner determined by a majority vote of industry stakeholders attending the EMPEA/FT Sustainable Investing in Emerging Markets leadership summit to be held on 17 October 2017 in London. The audience members will vote for the firm that they believe best exemplifies outstanding sustainable impact from an operational, environmental, social and governance perspective following presentations delivered by the Challenge’s finalists.
Join Us! Winners of the 2017 Sustainability & Operational Excellence Challenge will be selected at the EMPEA/FT leadership summit: Register today »
Please read below for more details. If you would like to submit a portfolio company case study for the 2017 Challenge, please email us your interest at [email protected].
2017 Sustainability & Operational Excellence Challenge Guidelines
- To participate in the 2017 Challenge and request a copy of this year’s entry document, please email [email protected]. Please include your firm name, portfolio company name and key contact individual’s name, email address and phone number in your request.
- The full entry document must be completed by the Challenge Deadline of 7 September 2017. We encourage you to indicate your interest by 4 August 2017 to provide plenty of time to complete the entry document.
- If you submitted a case study in 2016, you may resubmit the same portfolio company in 2017, but will need to do so by completing the 2017 entry document that you will receive after emailing [email protected]. If you resubmit your 2016 case study, your 2017 chances of being selected as a finalist will not be influenced by the fact that you submitted in 2016. We suggest including any updates from the past year to enhance your submission and encourage you to complete the entry document in full with specific details that will provide our independent panel of judges the most complete picture. Please understand that if your 2016 portfolio company case study was selected as a finalist and/or the winner from the previous year, it cannot be resubmitted again this year.
- Please note that only one submission is allowed per firm.
- The ultimate winner of the challenge is decided at the Sustainable Investing in Emerging Markets Summit on 17 October 2017 by audience vote, following presentations by the three finalists that were chosen prior to the Summit by the panel of judges.
- The selected 2017 Challenge finalists will have their case studies produced and distributed by EMPEA via EMPEA and EMPEA Institute communication channels, and will include a press release from the EMPEA Institute following the Summit.
Rules and Fine Print
- Firms are limited to one submission.
- The initial investment into the company must have been made on or after 1 January 2006.
- The investment must have been made in an emerging market-based company. “Emerging Markets” encompass the private equity markets of all countries outside of the United States, Canada, Western Europe, Israel, Japan, Australia and New Zealand, collectively referred to as “developed markets.”
- The investment must be classified as private capital. “Private Capital” refers to investment activities undertaken by long-term, fixed-life, private, direct investment funds backed by institutional investors across the following three asset classes: private equity, private infrastructure and real assets, and private credit.
- The top finalists will be determined by an independent panel convened by the EMPEA Institute.
- If selected as a top finalist, at least one member of the deal team will be required to participate in and present at the Sustainable Investing in Emerging Markets conference to be held on 17 October 2017 in London.
- Submissions must be received by 7 September 2017. Finalists shall be notified by 29 September 2017.